Skin care is important at every age and it's never too late to start taking better care of your skin. The sooner you start taking better care, the better chance you have to combat premature aging and fighting signs of wrinkles! Besides, the best foundation you can wear is glowing, healthy skin. Here's a breakdown of basic skincare must-haves at every stage in your life:
In your 20's, the main concern is age prevention. Lets face it - at this age you can tend to make some poor lifestyle choices: partying too much, skipping sunscreen, or forgetting to wash off your make-up before bed - all of which leads to premature aging! This is why it is so important to amp up your skincare regimen and don't skip on your daily routine!
1. Foaming Cleaner: A gentle cleanser that works great to remove all excess make-up and oils without drying our your skin. Dermalogica's Special Cleansing Gel is a perfect match. It gently foams and removes all impurities off your face without disturbing your skins natural moisture balance - perfect for all skin types!
2. Light Moisturizer with SPF: During the day, use a light moisturizer that contains sunscreen (ALWAYS!). Glo Therapeutics Antioxidant Defense Day Cream provides SPF 50 protection, antioxidants, moisturizes, and absorbs quickly into the skin. It also shields your face against environmental stressors while giving you a youthful glow! Light enough that you can wear under your makeup.
3. Spot Treatment: For those who still get breakouts, look no further. Spot treatments, containing salicylic acid, are the ideal way to deal with breakouts. DO NOT PICK - this can lead to long lasting scars! Dermalogica's Breakout Control helps to clear and prevent breakouts without over drying your skin. It wipes out acne-causing bacteria, while calming redness brought on by breakouts. Best part about this product? It's the perfect size to throw into your purse so you have it on hand at all times!
4. Serum: Being in my 20's, I am OBSESSED with any products containing vitamin C. Using serums filled with antioxidants (like vitamin C) help diminish signs of premature aging and Dermalogica's Extra Firming Booster will do just the trick. Containing vitamin C, seaweed, and protein peptides it helps firm and tighten, while defending against damaging free radicals on your skin. Mix this miracle worker in your moisturizer or can be used by itself - day or night!
5. Facials: The not so secret way to keep your skin glowing at every age. Facials are like a work out for your skin. It's like they say - great skin isn't by chance, it's by appointment. Dermalogica Treatment Facials are a great customizable way to keep your skin in check. Book an appointment today - you won't regret it!
In your 30's, the main concern is fine lines and sunspots. Your skins natural skin exfoliation slows down in your 30's - it changes from every 14 days to about every 35 so you need to start exfoliating more often and promote healthy cell regeneration. It is also a perfect age to start introducing wrinkle-treating retinoids and eye creams. This is where we start to fight the first signs of aging!
1. Lightly Exfoliating Cleanser: In your 30's, you need a cleanser that does a little bit more then ones you use in your 20's. To promote healthy cell regeneration and exfoliation, you need a cleanser that does just that! The Glo Therapeutics Cyto-Luxe Cleanser is a perfect gently exfoliating cleanser. It contains papaya enzymes to gently remove impurities, exfoliate, and prepare your skin to effectively receive any antioxidants or peptides. It also has a luxurious rich, buildable lather to really make your skin feeling and looking soft and refreshed.
2. Eye Cream: Eye creams are a good staple at every age but becomes vital once you reach your 30's. Use both during the day and at night to really hydrate the eye area and increase suppleness - helping diminish any lines that may start appearing. Dermalogica's Multivitamin Power Firm will not disappoint. It helps accelerate your skin's natural repair process with vitamin A (retinol) while antioxidant vitamins C and E improve elasticity. Silicones also provide a shield, acting as a protective barrier against any further damage from the environment or free radicals. Containing seaweed extract, it also firms and minimizes the appearance of fine lines.
3. Moisturizer with SPF: If using a moisturizer with SPF didn't seem important before - it is now more important then ever! It provides your skin with protection against photo damage, which in turn helps prevent pre-mature aging. If you plan on introducing any retinol into your routine, an SPF is KEY! Products with retinol can increase sun sensitivities and make you more susceptible to burns. Dermalogica's Dynamic Skin Recovery is your match made in heaven. This slightly thicker moisturizer provides long lasting hydration and protection against UV rays but blends smoothly into your skin for a perfected finish. You will not be able to live without this product!
4. Retinol: Retinol is a very important product to add to your skincare line up to improve your overall texture and tone of your skin. Because everyone's skin is different, strengths may need to vary on an individual basis. Dermalogica's Overnight Retinol Repair 1% isn't for the faint hearted. This active 1% pure retinol formula helps accelerate skin renewal by reducing the appearance of wrinkles, evening out skin tone, and improving any discoloration (thanks again vitamin C!). It also restores your skins moisture and prevents water loss to help soften any fine lines. NOTE: Use on cleansed skin at night and avoid your eye area as it can be a little too irritating on more delicate skin. Also, SPF is a must as mentioned before - retinol causes sun sensitivity and you are more susceptible to burns.
- Like at any age, facials are still a great way to maintain glowing, healthy skin. Aveda's Skin Resurfacing Facial
is a great way to energize your skin and increase it's radiance. With less irritation and redness than a traditional microdermabrasion, this treatment will smooth the skins texture. Book your facial now!
In your 40's, the main concern becomes dry skin. With hormones fluctuating, you can start to see noticeable changes in your skin. With your estrogen decreasing, it impacts key skin cells such as fibroblasts (produce collagen and elasticity) and melanocytes (keep skin firm and evenly toned). Your skin also becomes more dry so you need to pump up that moisturizer, antioxidants, and any anti-aging ingredients that you can!
1. Non-Foaming Cleanser:
Cleansing with a non-foaming cleanser helps replenish dry skin and maintain moisture levels. When used with a face cleansing brush (I recommend the Clarisonic Smart Profile
), it helps gently remove dead skins. Dermalogica's Essential Cleansing Solution
does the trick. It replenishes and maintains moisture levels, nourishes, and conditions the skin. Rosemary and lemon extracts also invigorate to refresh tired skin.
2/4. SPF and Moisturizer with Glycerin: Could we talk about SPF any more?! That is how important SPF is in everybody's skin care regimen. A good moisturizer with an SPF is a must on a daily basis to prevent any further skin damage. It's also not a bad idea to find a product that helps reverse some damage that you already have. Hello, Dermalogica Pure Light SPF 50! With advanced oleosome encapsulation technology (I'll take your word for it Dermalogica), it increases SPF performance while using fewer chemical sunscreens. It also helps exfoliate surface cells to enhance skin tone and eliminate dark spots while providing optimal hydration. I also failed to mention it reduces the appearance of fine lines - what more do you need from a moisturizer!
3. Peptide Rich Serum: In conjunction with the retinol you are already using, adding in a peptide rich serum helps rebuild collagen. It's also a great way to receive any additional hydration that your skin needs. Dermalogica's Overnight Repair Serum is a product that you will not be able to stop using once you start. This powerful peptide serum with argan and rose oils (my favorite) help stimulate cellular repair overnight. Maximize your nighttime skin repair to help minimize fine lines and enhance nourishment, recovery, cell renewal and hydration levels. You also wake up looking more luminous then ever.
Visit any Eccotique location to have a personalized face mapping session with one of our Skin Therapists. They are happy to help build your own skin care regimen based off all your skin care needs!
Aging is a fact of life, looking your age is not!