The 411 on Microneedling
WHAT IS MICRONEEDLING?
Microneedling is a skincare deep treatment procedure that produces a controlled wound response in the skin. This response encourages your skin cells to produce more collagen and elastin.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Microneedling works by encouraging your skin to produce more collagen. It works by causing small pin pricks in the skin to cause slight injury on a controlled level. This triggers a cascade of healing stages to repair the injured tissue. There are 3 phases to wound healing:
Phase 1: Inflammation
Piercing the skin triggers your immune system, which consists of white blood cells to disinfect the wounds, remove debris, increase blood flow and begin to create new tissue.
Phase 2: Proliferation
In this secondary phase, the tissue structures are reconstructed and fibroblasts are stimulated to produce collagen.
Phase 3: Remodelling
The wound is replaced with new dermal tissue and blood vessels.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
The major benefits of Microneedling include:
• Improves the quality and texture of skin.
• Exfoliates the skin.
• Reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
• Removing debris from skin.
• Improves scars. Microneedling is proven to diminish the look of surgery and acne scars.
• Prevents signs of aging
• Helps with pigmentation.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING THE SERVICE?
We begin by getting you to fill out a consultation form when you come in for the service. This will give us a better idea or your skin needs and informs your service provider if there are any contraindications (reasons why you may not be able to get the service). After that we bring you into the room, cleanse your skin and begin the numbing procedure. We use a topical numbing cream, apply it to your skin and let it sit for about 20-25 mins. You will still be able to feel a touch sensation but the numbing cream blocks the pain receptors so you won’t feel pain from the pin pricks. While the numbing is activating (this is the longest part), we do a sensory experience of your choice which will be listed on the consultation form. Once the numbing has activated, we wipe and cleanse it off, wipe your skin with an alcohol pad and begin the microneedling, We apply a suitable serum on your skin, and microneedle it into your skin, as well as apply more serum on top after. We finish with a suitable serum, eye cream and moisturizer after.
What to expect right after the treatment:
• Redness and sensitivity up to 7 days.
• Skin might feel tight; please be consistent with your serum and moisturizer.
• Mild break outs as it detoxifies and removes debris from skin.
• Radiant skin immediately and in the days after.
• Following the after care will result in fast recovery.
• Following your after care is essential for successful results.
WHAT ARE THE AFTERCARE INSTRUCTIONS?
• Washing with a gentle cleanser after 6 hours.
• No exfoliation for 1 week.
• You can start wearing makeup after 24 hours, making sure redness has subsided.
• Using sun block 3 times per day based on season and life style.
• Using a hyaluronic acid serum and a moisturizer after 24 hours is a must and continue to do so to maximize treatment benefits.
• Avoid hot showers, saunas, and chlorinated pools.
• Avoid exposure to cold weather for at least 5 days.
• Avoid these two ingredients: Kojic Acid and Hydroquinone.
• Avoid facial waxing for 7 days after treatment.
• Botox and fillers should be avoided for 7 days after treatment.